May 28th, 2021 Update
All of us have had our lives altered by the presence of COVID-19. Additionally, the we have gathered as a church family has sustained changes as well. New changes approach First Presbyterian Church of Fort Lauderdale and the city where we live. That is, the process of reengaging with one another in ways that some have not for more than 14 months. The most recent CDC guidelines are a welcomed relaxation of restrictions, but we also understand that many people will need time to readjust to not wearing masks indoors, shaking hands, sitting next to others, etc. While we have seen many restrictions lifted in our community, we must approach our return to the facilities and ministries of the church with compassionate care and mindful consideration for all who call this their church home. With that goal in mind, we all should foster the attitude and wisdom of Paul in his direction to the Corinthian church:
“Everything is permissible” – but not everything is beneficial.
“Everything is permissible” – but not everything is constructive.
Nobody should seek their own good, but the good of others.
-1 Corinthians 10:23-24
Your Reopening and Resuming Task Force and Session have been making these important decisions with prayer and careful attention. Last night your session approved a number of changes to the church’s social distancing guidelines.
Here is what you can expect in worship this Sunday:
- We will continue to follow CDC guidelines which recommends that if you are unvaccinated to wear a mask.
- You may sit almost anywhere you wish in the Sanctuary.
- For those with personal needs or preferences who desire to be socially distanced, we will have socially distanced seating areas in the Sanctuary available.
- There will no longer be reservations for worship, temperature taking, or a sign-in table.
- Ushers will be available to seat you if you wish, but it is no longer a requirement.
- Bulletins will be available at the door.
- We will continue to livestream worship.
Still to come:
- In the coming weeks we will be reintroducing the use of hymnals and pew Bibles.
- When the time is right, we will begin passing communion and continue to have single-serving communion kits available for those who would prefer it.
- Other elements still to come in the not-so-distant future are choral singing and multiple services.
Our foremost concern has been and will continue to be the health and well-being of all who participate in the life and work of First Presbyterian Church of Fort Lauderdale with special emphasis on those who are the most vulnerable within our family of faith. We continue to be committed to creating a safe space for our entire church family.